I am J. Vreer Verkerke, where the J. is for my sort of female 'past' and Vreer for the current genderqueer-trans whatever present. I am from Amsterdam, the Netherlands (small self important country between UK and Germany). I am an ex MTF transsexual, a “transman born in the wrong body”, living as genderqueer educator and activist
As a seasoned trans activist with many years of work in self help, grass roots activism and NGO work on LGBT issues and trans/gender/queer interests. Some highlights:
– Several years of experience in social support for trans people
– Founder of the first genderqueer group in the Netherlands (Noodles, leading an underground existence these days)
– Co-organizer of the first world transgender conference on gender identity in Barcelona 2010
– Two and a half years work experience as policy and advocacy officer at Transgender
Network Netherlands where I co-wrote proposal for better gender recognition legislation, much like the Argentinian one (still waiting to be tabled in parliament)
– Active in trans* health care and human rights advocacy work since 2010
– Research assistance for Human Rights Watch report on the situation of trans in the Netherlands (“Controlling bodies, denying identities”)
– Coordinating FRA LGBT survey in the Netherlands
With my national and international experience I can help TGEU in getting in touch with the new emerging forms of trans, being more queer. I will help TGEU and its members convince our governmental partners that only a human rights based approach can do justice to our needs. Until all trans people are free, no trans person is really free. I'll help Europe to become more of a trans* paradise than it ever imagined and fight for trans acceptance by queering the world, one issue at a time. I dance the diplomatic political dance as well as more unruly political pogo. I make a difference.
A lutta continua!
¡L*s trans* unid*s jamas serán vencid*s!
Fight transphobia, not transgender!